Clerkship 3rd Year
The Family Medicine Clerkship is centered on learning office based primary care in a community practice. Through the lottery (second year) students will be assigned to either a rural community in South Eastern Ontario, or a community practice in Ottawa. The rural rotations are organized through our closest rural network, the Eastern Regional Medical Education Program (ERMEP), who takes care of all the details including lodging. As well two students from each block can choose to work with a different rural network in Ontario (ROMP or NOSM).
As of September 2011 the Family Medicine Clerkship (anglophone stream) will be scheduled as follows for everyone, both rural and community.
Week One: All students will be in Ottawa attending learning modules and doing allied health care provider visits. Students will not be expected to attend clinical offices. Details on exact schedules will be available closer to the beginning of the rotation.
Weeks Two - Six: All students will spend all of this time with their assigned preceptor. The expectation is that the student would experience the full scope of their preceptor’s practice including hospital call, nursing home care, emergency room shifts, deliveries, etc.
Clerkship Examination Blueprint
Clerkship Preceptor Manual
The francophone program will continue as is without any changes.
- PAL Dementia
- Dementia PowerPoint
- CMAJ review: Diagnosis of dementia
- CMAJ review: Risk assessment and primary prevention of Alzheimer’s disease
- CMAJ review: Approach to management of mild to moderate dementia
- CMAJ review: Mild cognitive impairment and cognitive impairment without dementia
- Three D comparison
- Going Home (A short film on Dementia)
- MMSE – (Mini Mental State Exam)
- MOCA (Montreal Cognitive Assessment)
- No Thanks, We're Fine: Supporting Families Living With Dementia
- Physicians for a smoke-free Canada
- Missing Link in Tobacco Control
- Varenicline for tobacco dependence
- Bupropion and other non-nicotine pharmacotherapies
- Pharmacotherapies for smoking cessation: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
- Pharmacotherapy For Smoking Cessation PowerPoint
- Review: Treatment Of Tobacco Dependence
- Canadian Thoracic Society recommendations for management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease - 2007 update:
- The Motivational Interview
- Smoking Cessation Flow Sheet: Smoking Progress Notes – Annual Patient Profile